Technical FAQs

Ask a Question

Can circuit breakers be reverse-fed or back-fed? A compiled list included.

Product Line:
Circuit Breakers

Electrical Distribution Equipment

Any circuit breaker that does NOT have Line and Load (or + and - on DC breakers) identifying markings may be reverse fed. This includes all Square D industrial thermal-magnetic and electronic trip circuit breakers.  See the compiled list below:

Breakers that can be back fed and exceptions (This is a work in process list, it is probably not inclusive and does not yet include legacy breakers):
HOM except electronic versions like GFI, EPD, AFI, CAFI and DF
QO except electronic versions like GFI, EPD, AFI, CAFI and DF
Multi 9 products with the following exceptions: 125VDC, and 250-500Vdc rated products, ID Residual current switches, GFP, DPN VIGI and Vigi modules
E frame for NF panel,  except -EPD version.
Powerpact H, J and L frame except those with T or R suffix which are breakers with replaceable trip units.
Powerpact H, J and L "frames" that are sold without terminations and without trip units cannot be reverse fed. These products have Fxx suffixes where xx  are numbers.
Powerpact M, P and R frame
Masterpact NT and NW except Masterpact DC rated breakers
Legacy and Powerpact breakers with GFM and ELM modules cannot be reverse fed.

CTA-ID : 2034382
Was this helpful?
What can we do to improve the information ?